Fires Break Out in North County

fire

Sierra Zounes

Students can see smoke from the fires to the north from the softball field at San Dieguito Academy.

By Elizabeth Tarangelo, Staff Writer

SDA students stepped out of their 2nd period classes today to the sight of an ominous cloud of black smoke.

Due to the hot, dry conditions that California has been experiencing over the past several days, there have been several wind-driven brush fires started throughout San Diego County. Tuesday’s Bernardo Fire, which prompted thousands of residential evacuations of Rancho Santa Fe and Rancho Penasquitos (now lifted), has as of this morning, burned over 1,550 acres and was 25 percent contained, according to CBS8. Now, new blazes in Camp Pendleton and Carlsbad are being given constant coverage by local news stations.

Many SDA students have been following the fires closely during the school day, and students in Scott Huntley’s Culinary Arts class 4th period watched live coverage of the Poinsettia Fire.

“I’m not scared of the fires affecting me personally, but I have friends in Carlsbad that I’m worried for,” said sophomore Megan Scherer. “My family isn’t planning on evacuating because the fire isn’t close enough right now, unless they tell us too, but I’m scared for my friends.”

The Poinsettia Fire in Carlsbad, which is the source of the smoke cloud visible from SDA, broke out around 10:30 this morning near El Camino Real and Poinsettia Road, according to ABC10 News, and over 11,000 residents have been ordered to evacuate, along with Legoland tourists and students at several schools. Aviara Oaks Elementary and Middle Schools and Poinsettia Elementary School were evacuated, and students are no longer in danger, according to Carlsbad Unified School District Officials. Several homes have been destroyed in the blaze, and firefighters are working to stop the fire from spreading.

It’s scary, obviously. These fires are impacting a lot of people just a few miles away, and everyone is worried about it.

— Tim Hornig

“The fires haven’t really affected SDA or the district much yet, since none of our schools have been evacuated. We sent buses this morning to help evacuate students from Carlsbad, but other than that, we haven’t been impacted,” Principal Tim Hornig said.

According to Hornig, SDA is registered with the American Red Cross as an evacuation site, and they reached out to the school today and said that SDA is on active standby as an active evacuation site.  Torrey Pines was used an evacuation site for a small number of elementary school students yesterday.

“If SDA were to be used as an evacuation site, we would support whoever it was… probably put them in the gym and make sure they’re comfortable. We’re working with nutrition services to make sure there is enough water and that sort of thing,” Hornig said.

The administration sent an all-call this morning to clarify any possible rumors about SDA being evacuated.

“It’s scary, obviously,” said Hornig. “These fires are impacting a lot of people just a few miles away, and everyone is worried about it. Hopefully Encinitas won’t be affected, but if it is, we’re preparing to deal with it.”

For live coverage of the Poinsettia fires, check out CBS8.com:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/25516253/fire-burning-in-carlsbad-near-park