School Board Midterm Election Results

By Elise Echeverria, Editor in Chief/News Editor

Challenger Maureen Muir and incumbents John Salazar and Amy Herman were elected to the San Dieguito Union High School District School Board.

Muir, the only challenger to be elected onto the school board, received the most votes, taking 18.23 percent of the votes, a total of 13,039 votes.  Muir previously worked on the Encinitas Union School District Board of Trustees from 2008 to 2012.

Salazar, a former businessman who served on the board since 2010, came in a close second with 11907 votes,   16.65 percent of the total votes.

Coming in third, the final spot on the school board with 11,215 votes was Herman, a business owner who also served on the board since 2010. Herman campaigned with Barbara Groth, a board member since 1998 who came in fourth in this election, 616 votes shy of a spot on the school board.

Though some of the election winner’s campaign finances seemed to mirror their success, for others it was not the case. According to Ballotpedia, as of Sept. 30 the first place candidate, Muir, had $21,200 in contributions and had  $15,714.36 in expenditures, whereas second place candidate, Salazar, had $0 in contributions and filed Form 470 which indicated that he would not be receiving nor spending more than $1,000 throughout the duration of his campaign.

The three new members begin their terms  Dec.  5,  with residing board members Joyce Dalessandro and Beth Hergesheimer. The first school board meeting with the newly elected members is Thursday, Dec. 11, at 6:30 p.m. in the SDUHSD Office Board Room 101, located at 710 Encinitas Blvd.