The Forum 11/14/14

By Dylan Hendrickson, CAF Editor

The third Forum was focused mainly on the extracurricular classes about to be introduced to the Academy and was held during lunch on Nov. 14. Also, Forum participants discussed how to increase San Dieguito Live viewership in the final minutes of the meeting.

Extracurricular
Social Studies teacher Kerry Koda launched the discussion on the new after-school classes, saying that they should begin “after fall break.” However she also added that class subjects so far have been based off of what the teachers themselves want to teach, and as a result, the faculty is unsure if people will actually attend the classes they offer.
Principal Tim Hornig commented on the scheduling uncertainties and reiterated that the school is planning to begin classes after Thanksgiving and that courses will take place “once or twice a week.” On the issue of having a large enough attendance, Hornig gave that power to the students: “What you show up to is what we offer,” adding that their “feet will do the scheduling.”
Members of the Forum called for student polls, either in Homeroom or through social media, to decide classes. Students wanted more say in subjects than class appearance.
Hornig also mentioned that classes were not limited to being on campus, with art teacher Jeremy Wright’s planned Community Mosaic class being an example of having an off-site class.
The Forum then opened up the floor for course ideas. Some topics included: philosophy, computer science, astronomy, “focused history classes,” law, business, home economics, and current events.

San Dieguito Live
Junior Nate Neumann thought the SDL video series could contain more news in order to spread school events more efficiently as well as raise viewership. He stated that while humorous, the show could integrate the satire of the current production with actual information regarding the school, using CCA’s video series as an example. Neumann also proposed having “a sister program” to deliver news.
Seniors Bo Templin and Riley Murphy commented that they already include news in the school’s podcast and “[use] posters around school” to relay news.
Many students suggested that SDL should be posted in a more visible fashion so that people could find the video in their free time, or that the link be sent by e-mail to teachers to be shown in Homeroom. “If everyone knew where it was,” one student said, “then more people would watch it.”