Pi Day

By Dylan Hendrickson, CAF Editor

Over a hundred students and teachers braved the 90 degree weather this Friday to recite the digits of pi in celebration of Pi Day on March 14th. Prizes, which included a free burrito from Chipotle, a free drink from Pete’s Coffee, and 3 free ounces of frozen yogurt from Yogurtland, were available for any student who was able to memorize 25 or more digits.

The prizes were alluring for many and students, staring at their phone screens, crammed as many numbers as they could. Senior Chris Bennett prepared little for the day. “I memorized it in the two minutes before I went in.”

Sophomore Noelle Hale had previously memorized over 150 digits of pi for last year’s competition, so she didn’t feel the need prepare much. “I just wanted the cookie,” said Hale, referring to the cookie prize students also received for memorizing 25 digits.

In addition to the main competition, students could also participate in a kind of cake walk, where participants could win a bag of cookies if stand on the right number.

The winners of the competition will not be decided until next week, but they are sure to receive a large prize. According to math teacher Paul Brice, they will receive another coupon packet from local restaurants like Rico’s Taco Shop and Blaze Pizza.