Incoming Freshmen Get a Taste of SDA

By Megan Levan, Staff Writer

There was an air of excitement and teenage anxiety as huddled groups of freshmen-to-be waddled by the elective booths at the incoming freshmen registration event Wednesday. Booths sporting brightly colored posters and students donning Japanese kimonos and “Ask Me About Photo Classes” necklaces were scattered around the Performing Arts Center lawn.

The incoming freshmen and their parents got the chance to talk to current SDA students and elective teachers in order to get a better understanding of the classes SDA offers. After perusing the variety of elective options, some students were inspired. Eighth-grader Sydney Bartholomew quickly said that she would definitely be taking creative writing next year.

Other students were not quite as transformed after their time at the elective fair, but were excited to come to SDA nonetheless. Eighth-grader Jessie Horan said she would be taking “Spanish because my mom said so,” and eighth-grader Kai Redler, after being asked if he had seen any classes that interested him, said, “No. We’ve been standing in a circle. We haven’t [gone] anywhere yet.”

After the elective fair, eighth-graders and parents were ushered into the gym to learn about class registration.

Eighth-grader Carter Sirota left the event feeling excited for next year: “I think SDA is a really accepting school and even though they don’t have all the sports stuff that LCC has, they are kinda more desirable since it’s a better feel.”