Chalk Art Competition Decorates SDA

By Anna Griffen, Staff Writer

Nineteen homerooms participated in the Homeroom Olympics chalk art competition on March 7. Kerri Leonard’s homeroom won first place for artistic merit with their piece “Girl with Pearl Earrings” and Stephanie Siers’ homeroom won first place for creative expression with their piece “Salvatore Dali.”

At the start of the competition, the students quickly gathered in their teams to plan out a perfect way to complete their drawings. Each homeroom had unique ideas, and spent time beforehand assigning certain colors and sections to various teammates.

“Coming up with the ideas with my homeroom was easy, and we were planning to draw ‘Starry Night’ by Van Gogh,” said senior Thea Farber who is in Siers’s homeroom. “Talking to other homerooms, we found out that everyone else was planning to do ‘Starry Night.’ Then we spontaneously chose to draw Dali’s ‘The Persistence of Memory.’”

“Over the weekend I went to buy chalk at Michaels and I came across the 3D chalk and decided to be risky and buy it. I thought it could make ours unique and get us some points for creativity.” she said.

“The judges were blown away by the creative, amazing artwork and had to divide the work into two categories for winners,” said assistant principal Jeanne Jones in an email announcing the results.

After this event, the theater homeroom remains in the lead overall with Spanish teacher Angela Vasquez-Herrera’s homeroom just 25 points behind her. Social studies teacher Kevin Witt’s homeroom is in third place.