Mustang Minds Plays Last Match of the Season

Courtesy of Delilah Forrest

SDA’s varsity academic team prepares for the match.

By Linnea Leidy, Opinion Editor

San Dieguito Academy’s Mustang Minds team competed in their final match of the season last night against La Costa Canyon High School. Freshmen and junior varsity teams beat LCC 74-29 and 80-54 and varsity lost 65-72. Junior varsity will continue on to playoffs.

Team members elected to dress as a stereotypical “goth” or “quirky, artsy person” during the competition. Some donned all-black outfits with heavy eyeliner, while others sported tie-dye shirts and humorous head accessories. Unique to this match, SDA’s varsity team was led by guest coach Mary King, who is currently taking a leave of absence from her position as English teacher at SDA.

The night kicked off with the freshman team competition. SDA hit the ground running, instantly maintaining a lead over LCC that only continued to grow as the competition progressed. After successfully answering a variety of questions, ranging from classic English literature to Spanish language translations, SDA won the match with a final score of 74-29. This final win marked SDA’s freshman team’s fourth victory out of a total of six matches.

Next came the junior varsity competition. Though they got off to a little bit of a rocky start, the team picked up steam a couple questions in and managed to secure SDA’s second win of the night, with a final score of 80-54. This means that the JV team went undefeated in all six of their matches, which sends them to playoffs in April.

Finally, the varsity team had their match. The team is made up of seniors; many of whom have been a part of the Mustang Minds team since freshman year, so it was an especially memorable night, according to the team. Though SDA held its own against the challenging questions (a surprising amount of which revolved around poetry), LCC’s team came out strong and won the match with a close score of 65-72.

Despite the varsity loss, SDA ended the night with two wins out of the three matches against its rival school, LCC.